Life Without Barriers is the Australasian Network Partner for MST Services supporting the implementation and delivery of MST and MST Prevention across Australia and New Zealand. Life Without Barriers provides accredited orientation training for MST and MST adaptations.
All new MST clinicians, supervisors, and some other MST program staff receive five days of training to be introduced to the theory and techniques of the treatment model. The training includes didactic teaching, role-playing and other exercises designed to stimulate critical thinking about the treatment process. This orientation is designed to prepare MST teams to begin working with young people and their families. Please note, that because of the impact of COVID-19, some trainings will continue to be delivered virtually over 6 days.
Register for training
Training locations and dates that are available for online registration are listed below. To register for a training and to see detailed training location/travel information, please click on the dates under the location you wish to attend.
Please note the agenda times have been modified for virtual trainings taking place due to covid-19 travel restrictions. Please see individual trainings for exact times.
MST Orientation Training
The goals of the training are as follows:
- to familiarise clinicians with the theoretical, empirical, and clinical paradigms underlying the MST model and help them begin to incorporate those paradigms into their work;
- to familiarise clinicians with the scope, correlates, and causes of serious behaviour problems addressed by MST;
- to describe the theoretical and empirical basis for MST;
- to describe common family, peer, school, individual, and social support assessment, and intervention strategies used in MST;
- to teach clinicians to conceptualise cases and interventions in terms of the MST principles;
- to teach clinicians to use the Do-Loop to conceptualise cases and design and implement interventions;
- to describe strategies MST teams use to build strong, collaborative relationships with stakeholder agencies in the community;
- to describe the MST clinicians’ role in continuous quality improvement;
- to provide clinicians with opportunities to practice using MST assessment strategies and interventions.
To register for a training:
- Click on the training you require above.
- All people registering for the 5-day (6 day virtual) orientation training must be a part of a licensed MST team or organisation. For information on how to become licensed, please contact Suellen Lembke firstname.lastname@example.org
- All registrants must be part of a licensed MST team or organisation. In addition, all registrants must be registered on the MST Institute (MSTI) website and must be pre-approved to attend the training from their MST Consultant/Expert prior to registering
- Any additional persons attending must be approved 14 days in advance of the first day of training by the Life Without Barriers MST Coordinator
- Waiting lists may be maintained for each training but must be finalised 14 days prior to the first day of training. This includes either filling unconfirmed reservations or reassigning the waiting trainee to the next available training
Training reservations & cancellations:
- Before training commences, the program manager must assure that the trainee is properly registered on the MSTI website and on the Life Without Barriers MST training website. The MSTI website will serve to verify the eligibility of the trainee.
- Trainees cancelling within seven days are subject to a $50 cancellation fee (if materials have not been shipped)
- As trainees are formally registered, advance preparation material will be shipped directly to the trainee or to the person designated on the registration form. Trainees are expected to read all suggested readings in advance of training. Trainees cancelling after materials have been shipped are subject to a $55 cancellation fee or $155 if shipping includes the MST textbook
- Reserved places not confirmed within 10 days of the first day of training are subject to cancellation
- Due to potential low enrolment, training sites reserve the right to cancel trainings no later than two weeks prior to the training start date. Before making any travel arrangements, confirm your training has not been cancelled by contacting the program manager listed for your specific event. If a training is cancelled, the training coordinator will assist in finding the next available training.
How do I train online?
You will receive instructions on how to connect to the virtual training via email approximately 1 week prior to the training start date.
As we are currently using Zoom as our virtual training application, it is suggested that you join the meeting by clicking on the link that will be provided in your email invitation. You do not need a paid subscription for Zoom to join but you will need to install the app on your computer. Experience has taught us that it is also very helpful if each agency has someone available to assist you if you do experience technical issues
Keep in mind that you will need the following to participate in this training:
- Tablet or PC with a webcam and microphone/speaker.
- If your device does not have a webcam, you can join the training with your cellular device also.
- If your device does not have an external microphone/speaker, you can use headsets with built in mics to plug into the audio jack of your device OR you can use the dial in information to call from a phone in addition to joining the video portion of the training on your device.
- A strong internet signal. Realising that more individuals may be in your home and using your bandwidth then normal, there may be a need to adjust others schedules while you are participating in the training. For example, if you have other individuals in your home streaming videos or participating in online meetings, etc. you may not have enough resources to successfully participate in the virtual training.
How do I pay?
As per contract arrangements. Your organisation will be invoiced at the conclusion of the training.
Do I need to log in each day?
If the training is virtual, you will need to log in each day using a separate link. These will be noted in the email you receive a week prior to the training along with the contact details for the trainers. If you are unable to attend, you must notify the trainer.