At Life Without Barriers, our LGBTQI inclusion journey came from humble beginnings, being one of the first organisations to offer same sex couples the opportunity to be foster carers. We are committed to inclusion of all members of the LGBTQI community, and we have continued to proactively recruit same sex foster carers for many years.
In the next part of our journey we have moved towards making LWB one of the most LGBTQI inclusive organisations in our sector. Furthermore, since 2017 we have actively implemented strategies and initiatives to become a more LGBTQI Inclusive organisation for our employees and clients.
- participated in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and 2019
- been shortlisted for Organisation of the Year in the Australian LGBTI Awards in 2018 and 2019
- twice participated in Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade and we have also participated in the Perth Pride Festival, Midsummer Festival Melbourne, Sydney Mardi Gras Fair Day, Chill out Festival Melbourne, Newcastle Pride Festival, Brisbane Fair Day and Cairns Tropical Fair Day
- Nominated for the 2019 Mardi Gras Awards 'Most Fabulous Parade Entry'
- become members of the Welcome Here Project.
Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade 2017 and 2019
Meet Our Same Sex Couple Foster Carers
We have a number of amazing Foster Carers who are same sex couples and we are always advertising for LGBTQI Foster Carers. Meet Kaz and Jo in the below video or read more stories here.
Our LGBTQI Journey
- We were shortlisted for a Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade float award
- We participated in the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade for the second time
- We received our second nomination for the LGBTI Awards
- Became members of Welcome Here
- We participated in our first AWEI
- We were nominated for our first LGBTI Award
- We updated our HR policies and procedures to be overtly LGBTQI inclusive
- We publicly supported the Marriage Equality campaign.
- We became members of Pride in Diversity.
- We participated in our first Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras
- We began recruiting LGBTQI foster carers