We support people experiencing domestic and family violence by helping them keep safe and get their lives back on track.
Domestic and family violence can affect anyone
Domestic and family violence is when one person in a relationship uses violence or abuse to maintain power and control over the other person. It causes the person being abused to live in fear.
Domestic violence can include:
- emotional abuse; or
- psychological abuse
It can include behaviours like:
- isolation or
- controlling what a person does, who they see or even what they wear
For people experiencing abuse or violence in their relationship, it can be difficult and very frightening to reach out and let someone know what is happening. Our counsellors at Life Without Barriers have worked with many people experiencing domestic violence and understand how hard it can be to take that first step and how impossible change can seem. We are here to listen, help and support you in your choices. We can:
- Provide counselling and relationship advice and work through your options with you
- Help you make a safety plan for you and other members of your household
- Help you find immediate and safe accommodation
- Arrange transport
- Arrange financial assistance
- Help make arrangements to keep your pets safe.
Exposure to domestic and family violence, can have a complex and long lasting impact on children. Our counsellors talk with children and young people who have been affected by physical or emotional abuse happening around or to them, and help them deal with their experiences. We can also link in with schools and other community services to make sure they have access to a strong local network of support.