Waltja 2016 Aged and Disability Festival
3-7 October 2016
Life Without Barriers is proud to be supporting Waltja Tjutangku Palyapayi Aboriginal Corporation (Waltja)’s 2016 Aged and Disability Festival, and we hope you will join us by adding your support.
Message from the Tracy Barrell, OAM - Ambassador, Waltja 2016 Aged and Disability Festival
About the festival
Waltja’s 2016 Aged and Disability Festival is a positive and life-affirming initiative; a celebration and cultural exchange for older Aboriginal people and people with disability across central Australia. It is the only event of its kind providing cross-generational cultural connection for Aboriginal people, and active inclusion of old and young who are often excluded from cultural life due to limited mobility.
The Festival is led by senior Aboriginal women, and creates inspiring good-practice resources for Aboriginal communities and organisations working with Aboriginal families, older people and people with a disability; and this year will include people Life Without Barriers’ supports in our Disability and Family and Children’s Services, Northern Territory.
The 2016 Aged and Disability Festival is the fifth such festival for Waltja. It is a four day event for over 200 people, held at the Ross River Resort campground 96 km from Alice Springs and will occur in September. Participants are driven to the site from Alice Springs via remote and isolated communities, some over 500km away.
The Festival provides participants with food, facilities and activities along with services and support as required to enable their participation. We need to raise $450 per person to fund this exciting event.
How You Can Get Involved and Support the Festival
Waltja and Life Without Barriers are making in-kind contributions to ensure the Festival can take place but we need your support to make it happen.
In partnership Waltja and Life Without Barriers are seeking financial and in kind contributions from sponsors to enable 200 people from remote communities to attend and participate in the Festival.
We are asking businesses and corporate sponsors to join us to help meet costs including:
- Return travel from community to Ross River
- Accommodation - a range of options from camping to cabins
- Catering supplies
- Logistical equipment and supplies to run the event
- Other supports to enable community members with disabilities and the elderly to attend.
All sponsorships and donations will be acknowledged by mail/email, and donors will be identified in Festival reports and promotional materials. (Click here for Sponsorship Package Options)
We appreciate the commitment and engagement from all Festival supporters. There will be opportunities for sponsors and donors to have further involvement in ongoing Waltja projects for Aboriginal self-determination.
Why Get Involved / Benefits
The Festival provides participants with food, facilities and activities along with services and support as required to enable their participation.
The cost per person is $450.
By supporting the Festival sponsors will gain a number of benefits including:
- An opportunity to contribute to reconciliation and the strengthening of Aboriginal culture
- An opportunity to achieve your reconciliation action plan targets
- Strengthen your profile within the corporate giving sector
- Expand your organisational profile across Aboriginal central Australia
A number of opportunities also exist for your organisation including opportunities to
- Participate in sharing positive messages about the Festival
- Leverage existing stakeholder relationships through traditional, online and social media
- Network with likeminded organisations and create new stakeholder relationships
- Allow your staff to participate and gain a better understanding of Aboriginal culture and how through partnership we can contribute to a strong and resilient Aboriginal Australia.
- Make a contribution to supporting people to achieve their goals
We sincerely encourage you to support Waltja and Life Without Barriers in this initiative to celebrate and include Aboriginal families and people with disability and thank you for your interest.
Life Without Barriers has called on the support of its corporate partners to support the Waltja Aged and Disability Festival resulting in the generous donation of money and gifts in-kind from a number of organisations that so far include: CGU Insurance, Viatek, Volkswagen Financial Services and Navman.
Want to know more about being a supporter
Cynthia Lahui, Community Engagement, Waltja Tjutangku Palyapayi Aboriginal Corporation
Visit Waltja’s website for more details on the festival and their services