The decision about whether the child in your care needs a haircut is yours to make. But there are some things to think about before you make this decision.
- If they’re old enough let them make the decision in partnership with you
- Don’t perm or colour hair, cut long hair short or dramatically change a hairstyle without the child’s consent, no matter what their age
- If you and the child are considering a significantly different hairstyle, check with your care team first
- Discussion with the child’s parents, or in some cases parental consent, might be required
- For some Aboriginal children and children from other cultures a child’s first haircut can be an important part of their cultural rights
- A baby’s first haircut is significant in most cultures - a haircut could cause significant problems for the child or family
See the links below to your state or territory based carer resource for more information.
Want to become a carer?
To become a foster carer your ability to care and nurture a child is what really matters.
To learn more, visit the LWB foster care website