Free flu vaccinations for all Life Without Barriers foster and kinship carers
Credit: Getty Images
Your health and wellbeing are very important to us, so we are providing free flu (influenza) vaccines to all Life Without Barriers carers this year.
Vaccination reduces your chances of getting the flu and also helps protect the people in your family and the wider community by reducing the spread of the flu to others.
Everyone should seek medical advice before receiving the flu shot.
When can I expect to receive a flu shot?
Medical experts advise the best time to be vaccinated against the flu is April/May.
As a result of COVID-19, there has been unprecedented demand for the flu vaccine worldwide, leading to a shortage in Australia. This means pharmacies may not receive until later in the year.
Pharmacies will provide vaccinations on a first-come first-serve basis, so we recommend you organise an appointment as early as possible.
Please note that due to a shortage of supply, you may need to wait a while to get it and it may not be available in all pharmacies.
How can I receive a free flu shot?
- Click this link to book online with Australian Vaccine Services
- A voucher will be emailed to you
- Take the voucher and your photo ID to the chemist
- Your pharmacist will administer the flu shot free of charge
If you have a child in your care wishing to receive a flu injection, first you will need to seek approval from the child’s guardian. Please speak to your Life Without Barriers Case Manager or Carer Support for more information about this.
Do I need a flu shot during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic?
The flu and Coronavirus (COVID-19) are two different viruses. Currently there is no vaccine for coronavirus
It’s still important you receive the flu shot to protect the people in your family and community, and to make sure your immune system remains strong during this time. It is also important we keep flu-related illnesses out of hospitals and GP clinics, which will free up Australia’s healthcare system and staff to deal with COVID-19.
How can I stay safe and healthy?
To ensure we minimise the risk of contracting or spreading any virus, please make sure you and the people in your household follow good health hygiene practices:
- Avoiding close contact with people suffering from acute respiratory infections;
- frequent hand washing, especially after contact with ill people or their environment;
- covering noses and mouths when sneezing or coughing;
- staying at home if unwell.
Where can I find more information?
- Coronavirus Update Life Without Barriers
- If you have any concerns or need support, contact email@example.com
- To learn more about flu shots, click here
- As a Life Without Barriers carer you have access to free mental health support through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) by calling 1300 135 600.
Life Without Barriers has partnered with Integrity Health & Safety and Australian Vaccine Services Pty Ltd (AVS) to deliver flu vaccinations across Australia for the 2020 flu season.
Integrity Health & Safety is Australia’s leading Indigenous full-service provider of Health, Safety & Compliance products, training, and solutions.
AVS links into GP clinics and over 800 pharmacy locations nationally.