Children may need somewhere to stay immediately, for a night or even a few weeks. The call for emergency foster care can happen anytime.
Why do children need this type of care?
Emergency carers need to be able to provide care at short notice, after hours and on weekends.
Duration of care
1 night to 4 weeks
What support do carers receive?
- TrainingWe provide carers with a range of learning opportunities suited to their level of experience and the needs of children in their care.
- 24/7 Carer SupportOur carers have access to support at any time of the day or night for advice, support and direction in stressful situations.
- Financial supportCarers receive a tax-free allowance to support the needs of children placed in their care.
- Specialist supportOur specialist staff work with children and alongside carers where additional support is needed.
- Carer networkingTalking to other carers is sometimes the best form of support. Through regular carer events we create opportunities for carers to share their concerns, celebrate successes and provide feedback to the Life Without Barriers team.
Are there any other types of foster care?
Yes. And with just under 50,000 children unable to live safely at home in Australia we are always looking for foster carers to help these children feel protected, supported and safe.