Alcohol and Other Drug Counselling
Life Without Barriers’ Drug and Alcohol Counselling service provides one-on-one individualised counselling and group sessions to people with identifiable alcohol and/or other drugs dependency and/ or concerned parents or significant others. Individuals accessing the service can either refer themselves; get referred by their GP, Health Services, Mental Health Services, Police, Alcohol & Drug Information Service (ADIS), Disability Service and other Community Organisations.
Outpatient Counselling Services
LWB offers Outpatient Counselling services in targeted country regions of South Australia and also connects clients in this program to other agencies and organisations that can provide further assistance.
Counselling services are offered in both group and 1:1 sessions and utilise the SMART Recovery Methodology which teaches practical skills to help our clients build and maintain momentum, cope with urges, and problem solve enabling them to achieve a healthy lifestyle balance.
For more information:
- Statewide SA – 08 8307 2800 or email AOD.Counsellor@lwb.org.au
- Mount Gambier – 08 8725 8081
- Ceduna – 08 8649 1088
- Riverland – 08 8580 5500
- Port Augusta – 08 8649 1088
- Whyalla – 08 8649 1088
- South East Region (Naracoorte, Millicent, Keith/Bordertown) – 08 8725 8081
LWB offers Case Management services to people living in Ceduna and outlying communities to address issues and concerns related to alcohol and substance misuse. Case Management services work across social, physical and emotional life domains to support clients in building their capacity to access services and community supports.
The service can be a combination of outreach and site based services, with a focus on setting realistic goals to work towards recovery.
For more information: Ceduna – 08 8649 1088 or email AOD.Counsellor@lwb.org.au
Police Drug Diversion Initiative (PDDI)
The PDDI diverts adults detected by the police for simple possession drug offences to a health intervention instead of the justice system. PDDI will:
- Increase the number of illicit drug users diverted into education, assessment and treatment
- Ensure access to timely and appropriate assessment, treatment and support services
- Reduce the number of people appearing before the courts for use and possession of small quantities of illicit drugs
- Increase acceptance of, and participation in, diversion schemes
- Increase the percentage of illicit drug users apprehended by police who successfully complete diversion
Referrals for PDDI are received directly through the South Australian Police Service to the Drug Diversion Line. The Initiative provides a minimum of 1 assessment and education sessions with a professional drug and alcohol clinician with an option of eight follow-up appointments to receive further support.
For more information: Services are available for the Kangaroo Island, Victor Harbor and Whyalla regions.
Community Based Services for Veterans
Life Without Barriers’ (LWB) provides community based Alcohol and other Drug services to Veterans and their families that are deemed eligible by the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).
Eligible individuals include:
- All DVA ‘Gold Card’ holders
- ‘White Card’ holders, if an alcohol use disorder or substance use disorder has been accepted by DVA
- DVA Health Care Card holders with written authorisation from DVA
Services are available through referral by a GP, hospital personnel, mental health allied health practitioner registered under Medicare, or Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Services (VVCS).
Services are voluntary and intervene at the earliest possible point of crisis to minimise ongoing dependency on services. Life Without Barriers collaborates with other agencies, ensuring a comprehensive and holistic approach in meeting the client’s needs.
Services offered include:
- Assessment – to identify needs and formulate a case plan, resulting in referral to an appropriate service
- Counselling – client centred services including 1:1, family, couple, and group counselling focusing on realistic goals and outcomes across all life domains including social, physical and emotional
- Case Management – comprehensive assessment, case planning, services facilitation, outcome monitoring, and advocacy
- Follow-up and Aftercare Programs – including relapse prevention support, debriefing, revision of materials, and teaching of skills and coping strategies
For more information: Services are available throughout the Adelaide metropolitan region and Country South Australia. Call 08 8307 2800 or email DVA.AoD@lwb.org.au for more information.